Babesia is a parasite that affects the red blood cells. Not unlike malaria, it can create serious symptoms. In my case, Babesia caused coagulation, hypoxia, air hunger, severe muscle pain, arrhythmia, and hemolytic anemia. Babesia lives inside the red blood cells. It takes over the health and functioning of each cell, often preventing proper oxygen transportation to organs. Babesia reproduces inside the cells. The new, “baby” Babesia needs its own host so bursts out of the “mother” red blood cell in search of new cells to live inside. This bursting out kills the red blood cell, and this occurs with many cells during this part of Babesia reproductive cycle, meaning even less oxygen-carrying cells exist and results in hemolytic anemia, air hunger, and hypoxia.
Too many people are misdiagnosed with asthma, but the breathing issues aren’t related to lungs or bronchial tubes. Babesia does cause wheezing and coughing and gasping but it’s from a lack of oxygen due to infected red blood cells. The misshapen, infected cells can’t do their job, similar to sickle cell anemia. That is why oxygen concentrator therapy and ventolin don’t help much.
The pain and brain fog result for the same reason. When oxygen is in short supply, hypoxic pain and cognitive impairment result.
The chest pains and air hunger felt like cardiac arrest and severe asthma. I first tried Mepron, zythromycin, and Clindamycin IVs. Every day for 18 months I faithfully hooked up to IV twice a day, took tablespoons of Mepron, and zythro tabs. There was herxing in the beginning, and the Babesia did die. As it died the herxes were awful. The air hunger and arrhythmia worsened and I grew so weak that I could only crawl between bed and bathroom. Eventually this treatment plateaued and no longer killed the rest of my Babesia load. Next I switched from Mepron to Coartem. The pill form was more easily tolerated than the toxic pineapple viscous Mepron taste but ended up making me worse. The side effects of antiparasitics are often the same as the symptom of the infection. In my case the Coartem created heart palpitations and dizziness and severe anxiety. I then learned that the artimisinin I faithfully was taking actually was no longer a Babesia protocol because researchers discovered it created resistance in Babesia!
So panic set in. I cried and worried and prayed. Within two days I learned about an herbal blend that turned out to be the key. More on that later. First, there were ways to control the air hunger and pain. First, my doctor prescribed Lovenox injections. Now, Heparin is the preferred anticoagulant for Babesia, but my insurance didn’t cover it. The Lovenox separates the red blood cells, preventing the “baby” Babesia cells from easily infecting new blood cells. The Lovenox/Heparin also prevents clumping and sticking of cells, which makes oxygen transportation easier. And this medication dissolves fibrin that clogs up vessels when a big die-off occurs. Have your PTT tested to determine dosage of Heparin/Lovenox required. It’s on basic blood requisition forms and detects how fast blood cells clot or clump together.
A life-saver was bolouke. Bolouke eats up fibrin and dissolves clots. It improves circulation and Babesia’s affects on red blood cells. As soon as I got chest pains and began struggling to breathe, I’d take a bolouke capsule. I’d wait twenty minutes and if still struggling, take another. Most days two capsules were enough, other times I needed six throughout the day. This is a magical little capsule and please don’t refuse trying it because it’s sourced from earthworms. For real. But bolouke has even prevented surgery for some people because it can clean out clogged arteries. I have now sourced a cheaper version. The powered form called Di Long can be stirred into tea or warm juice and sipped. At first my stomach burned and I felt faint because bolouke works quickly and can create such a drastic change. But I was able to build tolerance and it became a rescue remedy. Of course seek doctor supervision.
A Cryptolepis/Sida Acuta/Alchornea tincture was my turning point. The combined herbs kill Babesia AND protect new red blood cells from infection. I combined this with monolaurin and the biofilm buster Cistus Incanus. Within six months my Babesia count was significantly reduced and no more air hunger. I did this under the care of a Lyme specialist.